Whether it’s a treasured family heirloom or a relic from a past relationship, you want to know the value of the jewelry you own.
An appraisal can help you learn more about the piece by identifying metals or gemstones you might not have known.
Appraisals are also recommended for ‘Insurance Replacement Value’ in the case of theft, fire or loss. Our GIA Graduate Gemologist is available on staff to carefully inspect your piece and provide you with certified documentation of its worth which you can use for insurance purposes.
All appraisals are done on site. Your jewelry never leaves the store location. A variety of factors are considered when determining a piece’s worth, such as the quality of the gemstones and metals, the designer, and the current price of similar pieces on the retail market.
Our appraisals include a detailed report with a photograph adhering to the required industry standards and an additional copy for your insurance company.
It is recommended that you bring documentation such as sales slips, diamond or gemstone grading reports and warranties if you have them for a more accurate appraisal.
The appraiser will consider:
- Current competitive retail prices
- Brand names, serial numbers, model numbers (for watches), identifying manufacturer’s marks on diamonds
- The karatage for gold; the stamping of the percentage on platinum
- The metal of prongs and mountings
- For diamonds and gemstones, the appraiser will evaluate the 4C’s (cut, color, clarity & carat weight)
The jewelry market is always fluctuating along with the greater economy, which means that the value of a piece will greatly change over time.
We recommend that appraisals be reevaluated every five years. We will provide updates at a reduced rate on any appraisal that contains all the necessary information needed to complete an accurate appraisal that meets jewelry ethical standards.
AmRhein’s Fine Jewelry is conveniently located at 4347 Starkey Road, Roanoke, VA 24018. If you have any questions about our jewelry appraisals, please contact us by phone at 540.989.7100.
What types of APPRAISALS do we offer?
- Insurance Replacement Value (for insurance purposes)
- Fair Market Value (purpose of selling to another person)
- Estate Liquidation Value (purpose for distribution of private family property)
- Appraisal Updates (previous appraisal required with adequate information)
- While-You-Wait Appraisals are offered for an additional hourly fee based on items
How much does an appraisal cost?
- For Insurance Replacement Value, Fair Market Value, Liquidation Value the cost is $85 for the first item and $65 for each additional item.
- For Appraisal Updates the cost is $50 per item.
- While-You-Wait Appraisals are offered for an hourly fee of $120 per hour based upon the item to be appraised.
How long does an appraisal take?
Typically, an appraisal takes on average 2 weeks. Your items will never leave the location of AmRhein’s Fine Jewelry and are secured in our safe. The appraisal is always done on site.